Tom Marshall was born in Niagara Falls, Ontario in 1938 and died in Kingston, Ontario in 1993. He was educated at Queen's University and the University of London. For many years he was on the faculty of Queen's University. His literary estate is represented by Amy Marshall.
The Essential Tom Marshall
This new (2012) collection in the Porcupine's Quill Essential Poets Series is co-edited by Tom Marshall's friends David Helwig and Michael Ondaatje. These poems restore Tom Marshall to his rightful place in the Canadian canon. Elegant and probing, they reveal his distinctive voice, his shrewd irony, his daring intensity, his preoccupation with mortality and the enduring power of myth.
"Marshall was a prominent member of the literary scene in Kingston, Ontario, and this book provides evidence why. There are many genuine delights in this work."
--Quill & Quire
- The Beast With Three Backs, (with Tom Eadie and Colin Norman.) Quarry Press, Kingston, n.d.. (1965)
- The Silences of Fire. Macmillan, Toronto, 1969.
- Magic Water. Quarry Press, Kingston, 1971.
- The White City. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1976.
- The Earth Book. Ottawa, Oberon Press, n.d. (1974-6?)
- The Elements. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1980.
- Playing with Fire. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1984.
- Dance of the Particles. Kingston, Quarry Press, 1984.
- Ghost Safari. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1991.
- Some Impossible Heaven of the Senses. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1994.
"Mr Marshall's wise book reminds me of adults novels I devoured as an adolescent, growing giddy with forbidden knowledge; asking myself, is this how it will be, is this how life is? Reading Adele at the End of the Day, I said with similar excitement, yes, this must be it, this is how life is … Tom Marshall delivers shocks of interior reality that we almost never speak." New York Times Book Review.
- The Psychic Mariner: A Reading of the Poems of D.H. Lawrence. London and New York: Heineman and Viking Press, 1970.
- A. M. Klein. Edited and with an introduction by Tom Marshall. Toronto, Ryerson Press, 1970.
- Harsh and Lovely Land:The Major Canadian Poets and the Making of a Canadian Tradition. Vancouver, University of British Columbia Press, 1979.
- Multiple Exposures, Promised Lands: Essays on Canadian Poetry and Fiction. Kingston, Quarry Press, 1992.
- Rosemary Goal. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1978. (Harper Collins, paper.)
- Glass Houses. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1985.
- Adele at the End of the Day. Toronto, Macmillan, 1987. (Vintage Books, 1990.)
- Voices on the Brink. Toronto, Macmillan, 1988. (Faber and Faber,paper.)
- Changelings. Toronto, Macmillan, 1991. (McClelland and Stewart, paper.)
- Goddess Disclosing. Kingston, Quarry Press, 1992
- The Adventures of John Montgomery. Kingston, Quarry Press, 1995.